20 Aug, 17
Before anyone rents a property in the UK, it is important to ensure that the building complies with all the necessary regulations in the UK. This will be the responsibility of the landlord or estate agent that the tenant will be renting from.
Electrical certificates are one of the most important documents for rental properties in the UK. They ensure that the property has measured up to all the electrical safety requirements and that the electricity supply and installation of all the other electrical appliances are safe and stick to the legal requirements.
For property owners to avoid fines and ensure that their tenants are safe, they will have to adhere to all the stipulated electrical safety regulations. If you fail to stick to these regulations, you will run the risk of committing a criminal offence. The penalties that you may face include:
  • A fine of up to £5000
  • Imprisonment of up to six months
  • A ban from renting out your property
It is mandatory for every proprietor to ensure the safety of the tenants during the period of occupancy. Furthermore, the regulations apply to both old and new appliances, as long as they are electrical items that are supplied by the property owner to be used by the tenants. Some of the appliances covered by the regulation include:
  • Fridges
  • Cookers
  • Microwaves
  • Fuse Boxes
  • TV
  • Lamps and light fittings
Methods of Testing:
To ensure that all electrics are safe to use in a property, the landlord should hire the services of a qualified electrician or electrical contractor company. This will ensure that the electrician is competent and qualified to work on your property. A landlord will need to ensure the following:
  • All the electrical systems and items are certified as safe at the start of any tenancy
  • All items are free from any faults or defects
  • Tenants agree to maintain the electrical systems and appliances throughout their tenancy period
As a property owner in the UK, you want to ensure that all the electrical regulations are adhered to in your property and to have the necessary electrical certificates to keep your tenants safe.
You can call A.M.E Electrical to help certify your property that you aim to rent out before putting it up for lease. We can also help check your electrical appliances to ensure that they are in full working order and safe to use. See What is PAT? For more details.