20 Aug, 17
Here are some simple steps that you can take to reduce the risk of electrical fires in your home.
  • Make sure that plug sockets are not overloaded – if too many appliances draw power from one socket, it can overheat and catch fire.
  • Never leave washing machines or dishwashers running when you are out of the house or asleep.
  • Don’t plug a mobile phone in to charge and then forget about it.
  • Check that plugs, sockets, lights and cables are not damaged or displaying burn marks.
  • Don’t leave a portable heater unattended when excitable pets are running around the house!
  • Don’t leave cables trailing – as well as being a trip hazard, they might be too good to resist for a pet looking for something to chew on.
  • Don’t store anything that could easily catch fire on top of the microwave or near your fuse box or electricity meter.